Tuesday, September 11, 2012

RC#64: “First we kill all the lawyers”

published in Eastern Economist #458, November 12, 2002

This is a famous line from a Shakespearean play. I even know a few lawyers, most of them in Washington, who wear nifty T-shirts with this written on them.
            In Ukraine, though, I can only pity them. No one need kill lawyers here. The system is doing it for them.
            The other day, I was talking to a friend who happens to be a lawyer. He said, “When I taught law back in 1992-3, I remember asking my students, which they were planning to do. To get a government job, or to get a job in private business. All but two raised their hands for private business.”
            A couple of years ago, he went back into teaching. “When I asked my students the same question, all but two raised their hands for the government job. ‘What’s happened,’ I asked them? Nobody said anything. Then finally one guy, a kind of insolent dude, drawled: “Well, you know… corruption is eternal.”
            This brought to mind the story another lawyer friend told me a not long ago. We were talking about the difficulty of doing things legally here and she began to tell me the story of her first experience practicing law.
            “When I first started as a lawyer, I had a job with one of the ministries. I had a lot to learn, and it wasn’t long before I got my first taste.
            “Our office had received a skarha, a formal complaint from an accountant that her director had violated a number of regulations. The letter detailed the violations and they were pretty serious.
            “My boss called me in and said, ‘I want you to go down to Uman and look into these accusations. Do you understand your task?’ ‘Sure,’ I said. ‘I have to go through all their operations and check whether what the accountant says is true.’ ‘Go for it,’ said my boss.
            “So I went down to Uman and began investigating. Sure enough, I found evidence that every one of the accountants accusations were true. This was my first real assignment, so I was careful to note every detail of the evidence in my report. I went back to Kyiv feeling happy that I had done my job properly.
            “The next morning, my boss called me in. ‘This is your report on the Uman office?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘I see that you found evidence that the director did all these things that the accountant claimed.’ ‘Yes,’ I said, feeling pleased with myself.
            “‘But what about this?” asked my boss. He proceeded to describe an illegal transaction not mentioned in the complaint. ‘Are you sure this director didn’t also do this?’ ‘Well, no, I’m not.’ ‘Then go back there and investigate a little more.’
            “So I took the train back to Uman and began digging around some more. Sure enough, the director had done these things as well. I put together a new report and brought it into my boss, feeling even more pleased with myself.
            “‘So you discovered that he did that as well?’ ‘Yes, he did.’ ‘But what about this?’ (My boss described another illegal operation.) ‘Did you not check into whether he might have done this as well?’ ‘No, I didn’t.’ ‘Well, what are you waiting for? Get down there and look into it.’
            “Feeling a little surprised, I went down to Uman again. Sure enough, there was plenty of evidence that the director had done this illegal operation. How did my boss know about all this wrongdoing? I gathered together all the evidence, put it into a thoroughly damning report and presented it.
            “‘Fine, you got even more evidence of wrongdoing. But did you consider that he’s probably done this as well?’ (My boss described yet another misdemeanor.) ‘What do we pay you for? Get down there and find out.’
            “Feeling a little put out, I went down to Uman a fourth time. Sure enough, there was plenty of evidence pinning even more misdeeds on the director. I gathered together all the evidence, put it minute detail in a ten-page report and presented it to my boss.
            “‘So you got evidence of that as well. But he’s probably done this as well.’ (My boss described yet another violation.) ‘Look, you don’t seem to be thinking much. This time, you’re going to have to pay your own travel expenses.’
            “Sitting in a barren hotel room in Uman, I got to thinking. What was really going on? At last, it began to dawn on me. I did my research, then I went back to Kyiv and wrote up a bland little report saying not much of anything.
            “The next day my boss called me in. He was smiling. ‘Now I see you understand your job. Let me tell you one thing, young lady. Everybody breaks the law, every day. That’s just the way it is. But if you toe the line, nobody cares. When you step out of line, that’s when someone’s going to use it against you.'
            “I waited, sensing there was more to come. 'Now, when someone complains formally, like this accountant, it usually means they know what’s been going on and they’re doing it themselves. So, go down there and investigate the accountant.'
            “I soon found out that the accountant was renovating her house, using thousands of hryvnia of building materials and so on. On a salary of about 400 hryvnia a month. When I started asking her about that, she understood she had lost. She withdrew her complaint.”
            And that’s how it is in Ukraine. God have mercy on the lawyers. •

No comments: